Homeware high street sales down again at end of February

Homeware sales fell on the high street, while overall sales were also down, marking the lowest level in 2024 so far.

According to the latest BDO High Street Sales Tracker, total like-for-like (LFL) sales fell by 6.66% for the week ending 25 February 2024.

Homeware total LFL sales fell -10.95% this week from a base of +0.73% for the same week last year, which marks the second consecutive negative result for homewares and its sixth so far in 2024.

Store homewares LFL sales fell by -6.78% this week from a base of +9.06% for the same week last year, marking the ninth consecutive negative result for the category.

Total in-store LFL sales sank by -6.45% from a positive base of +4.40% for the same week last year. Total non-store LFL sales dipped by -2.75% from a good base of +7.16% for the same week last year.

Commenting on the results, BDO said: “This week’s result signifies the lowest for total LFL sales growth so far in 2024. Both store and non-store sales plummeted this week, with the latter seeing its first negative outcome after six successive weeks of positive results.

“This week saw temperatures fall to single figures as the weather turned colder amidst gusty winds and heavy rains across the country. During the same week last year, the UK saw a mix of mild, cloudy and somewhat wet and colder.”

Overall footfall declined by -2.7% this week compared to the equivalent week in 2022. High street footfall fell by -4.5%, while shopping centre footfall dropped by -3.2%. With an increase of +1.6%, retail park footfall saw a third consecutive week of positive year-on-year growth.

Save this article for later

You can revisit this article if you save it as favourite news!

Leave a Comment

MORE ARTICLES

Jason Stone, CEO at bedroom furniture supplier Harmony Furnishings, talks about the launch of its new catalogue and collections, as well as the appointment of...